Sunday, March 23, 2008

The fruit of our labor

Well, I've already broken my promise. I hope you'll let it slide as I was busy working the farm all day yesterday. Damon and I have lived in our little house for 6.5 years with one bathroom. It has been our intention all along to add a bathroom on to our bedroom, however this means busting through an exterior wall which backs to a retaining wall holding back a large, steeply graded hillside. It is highly possible that our plans cannot go forward as we imagined so in the meanwhile we decided to use that space to plant a vegetable garden. Not to mention it's cheaper. Last weekend Damon had someone come and carve out the space and eliminate the grass. Yesterday, he and I had the fun task of tilling. Heres me using the rototiller. Truth be told, while I look like an ox, I only plowed 10 of the 60 minutes it took to turn the earth. It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Cornering, however, is another thing. As usual we just said, "hey, let's plant a garden" without considering all the planning and preparation it takes. We both grew up with Grandparents that had large gardens and have fond memories of the chores we were assigned and certainly were beneficiaries of organic, home-grown food. The extent of our gardening skill was pulling weeds, podding peas and having tomato bug fights with our siblings. Anyway, we're giving it a go. And hopefully our efforts will bear fruit. We have corn, beans, carrots, beets, peppers, zucchini, and plenty of tomatoes. With any luck we'll have a harvest party come summer.

I'll quote Voltaire again (this one's for you, Lil) since it is apropos to the theme of this post. "We must cultivate our garden."

3 comments:

nitty said...

Perfect timing. I took an organic gardening class yesterday at Silverlake Farms. The instructor handed out some info, that I'll scan tomorrow at work and email to you. You should add herbs and flowers to the garden. All the plants work together too bring in good insects and keep out the bad, making your organic gardening a little easier. Good Luck.

Dana said...

Tomatoes.....can I have some home grown tomatoes.

I planted a couple of tomato plants a couple of years ago and savored every delicious bite.

I love home grown tomatoes.

Jerry said...

That is a great spot to grow some money making and enjoyable plants too! You know what I mean.......