Friday, March 14, 2008

Coke addicts

Those of you who know me well know that I can get little off kilter sometimes. I've been called "bent", "spun" and other such endearing terms. I call it free-thinking and spirited. No matter how you define it (and me) I ALWAYS keep an open mind and am interested in opposing viewpoints. It's true I can get a little dogmatic and I do not open this topic to cast judgment- people will choose to do what they like - God knows I have my vices (good red wine and the occasional cigarette). I'm predicting a rash of complaints but.... I implore you to give up your addiction to soda. I raise this point only because I give a crap. Soda - containing caffeine, sugar, corn syrup, aspartame (diet), acids, preservatives and other artificial ingredients- is (controversially) blamed as a contributing culprit in many health problems afflicting those who imbibe; obesity, heart disease, diabetes, calcium deficiency, migraine headaches, hyperactivity, insomnia, kidney stones, heartburn, & rotten teeth to name a few. Obviously there are other lifestyle factors that can exacerbate these conditions and, granted, we'll all die of something, but ditching the soda is a good start to mitigating these problems. Problems that tax our already dire health care system. A corollary point appeals to your humanitarian sensibilities. Two varieties of the cola nut required to make coca cola are grown almost exclusively in countries in Western and Central Africa, some of which are run by wicked and corrupt leaders. Follow then that the massive soda industry is subsidizing and enabling these wretches to brutalize their citizens. This theory can be applied to everything we do and buy - gas in our cars cost human lives in oil-rich countries, clothes on our backs are made using child-slave labor, and so on. Every choice we make has an impact. Think about it - social awareness is good for our health.

2 comments:

nitty said...

Shoot me now. What the hell am I supposed to pour over my iced JD?

Jerry said...

I agree. I only need soda for my mixed alcoholic drinks.
I can add this to your vent.
I use to (many years ago) work at Alpha Beta Grocery store. One day in the back storage area stood a stack of many cases of soda. I happen to notice soda leaking from the the back of the bottom of the stack on to the floor. I being the curious carbon based life form that I am, pulled the stack of maybe 10 to 15 cases high from the wall and found this.
The top case had been punctured by the concrete wall. This leak had over several days dribble down on to every case to the floor. This had caused every can the soda came in to touch with to disintegrate and itself leak causing even more leaks.
In the end we had to throw out every case in that stack. But even more disturbing was the acid disintegrating the aluminum like it did. I have asked many people in the industry since and have found out that the soda industry lines the cans with something that is resistant to the acid in the soda, but there is no lining on the outside of the cans.
I drink mostly juice since this occurance and hope more people do the same.