Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Erin Go Braugh!...

... commonly meaning Ireland forever. I'm referring to their lucky little four-leaf clover, in honor of the forthcoming St. Pattys Day, as I had very good luck yesterday. I have never won a thing in my life, save for the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place ribbons for the 100 meter dash, high jump, & triple jump, respectively, in my 6th grade Track & Field meet. I consider that more earned than won, though. I digress.

I have been impatiently anticipating the new album release of Lizz Wright since the beginning of the year. She is an amazing sultry and soulful young singer that has the same effect on me that Smokey Robinson does, i.e. they get into my bones and move me to tears. I first found Lizz when I heard her cover one of my favorite old songs entitled "Stop" and have followed her since. On her new recording, "The Orchard" she does an incredible rendition of the Ike and Tina Turner song "I Idolize You" better than they did it. Anyway, I found out last week that she was going to be playing a little club called the Hotel Cafe in Hollywood on Mon. March 10th so I immediately jumped online to score tickets. Purchasing online that day was not an option but they indicated there would be tickets at the door. As usual, there is no way to get in touch with any of the staff at this venue so my friend drove over to see if he could purchase at the "box office" in advance. The door gestapo said they do not sell tickets there or anywhere and must be acquired online. Humf! So, back online the next day and they're all of a sudden sold out. Industry people I'm sure. I have it in my mind that I will queue up on Mon. evening and hope to get in. Listening to KCRW throughout the week learn she will be playing a set in studio Mon. am, which of course I am glued to the radio to hear her croon. At the end they gave away 5 pair of tickets to see the show. I am a KCRW supporter and member, made the phone call and actually WON a pair of tickets. I'm peeing my pants with excitement (not literally in case there is a question) and told my friend that if he wanted to join me he'd have to ditch his date cuz I only had a coveted 2.

Thanks to Lizz and her gutsy voice the show was phenomenal. The venue is intimate and the sound system impressive. I was sat at a reserved table waiting for my friend expecting to get booted any moment by the reservee when Lawrence Fishburn approached me asking how to get a table. I told him to talk to the hostess since his name was not on MY table. There were literally 4 tables in the joint, all reserved - and his name was not one of them. Industry people I'm sure. So with a lot of shuffling and posturing guess who got my table? Yep, Ike Turner. What a bunch of hooey. That's Hollywood for ya. But all is well because we stood 10 feet from Lizz and the show was less than an hour of sheer swooning.

I was still reveling my good luck this morning and praising the day during my commute to work when suddenly my truck overheated and coolant came steaming and spewing out. Stranded on the side of the road waiting for a tow, I realize how fleeting good luck is. So Erin can Go *$!@.

Wishing you all a bit of luck in your life. Good or bad doesn't matter - interesting material just the same.
D :]

p.s. I know it's been awhile since my last post. I've got lots in the hopper I just haven't had the time to sit and pontificate. I promise there is more to come this week so check back. As always your thoughts are appreciated.

1 comment:

nitty said...

That is awesome. I'm glad you got to see Lizz. Too bad about the truck, that sucks.