Tuesday, April 29, 2008

The Wrongs of Wright

I've been living like an ostrich for a number of days so I've been out of the loop. Hopefully my lapse in commentary can be overlooked. Sometimes I just need to turn off and ignore the world.

Missing the Moyers/Rev. Wright interview on the tele the other night I caught it on youtube in its entirety. I've also seen a few other pieces, including 10 minutes of the now famous sermon where Wright urges God to damn America. While some of what he said is factual, even damnable, it would be appropriate to offer the context (since we're criticizing for looping sound bites and taking HIS statements out of context.) I don't know what kind of a man Wright is but I would assert that he is angry with a reckless agenda. At minimum his statements are divisive, destructive and wrong. The government spread Aids to kill black people? The government is capable and culpable of a lot of things but loony statements like that propagate any racial angst that exists. I am not a church goer but shouldn't the pulpit be a place to spread the word of God which embodies messages of love and peace and forgiveness? People go to church to have their spirit fed therefore, in my view, it's the responsibility of learned religious scholars to inspire unity and humility. Garbage rots, after all.

I think Wright felt slighted by Obama last month when he was trying to distance himself from Wright's heinous views of the world. Who knows whether or not Wright is deliberately trying to sabotage Obama but my belief is that he is just doing what he does best; driving a wedge & muddling truth with fiction.

1 comment:

Jerry said...

I totally agree. He and the Rush Limbaugh's of the world are nothing more that entertainers. They tell a certain group of people what they want to hear. The dangerous difference is that their opinion is right and all others are wrong. This is very divisive like you have said.
If we can get these people to work together instead of dividing people, maybe we have a chance as a society.