Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Meet Maggie

I'd like to introduce Madge. She's the latest addition to our menagerie. I know, I'm a whackadoo. I don't know what is the matter with me. It appears as though I may be having baby pangs, although I know for certain I do not want the lifelong responsibility of rearing decent and contributing people. So I collect animals instead. Actually, I really want to be living in the wilderness or on a farm so I'm trying to emulate such an environment in my urban digs.

Damon and I are planning to get a hen for fresh eggs. We spent this last weekend in Big Bear with friends and passed by a feed store that had baby chicks for sale. We stopped in to see the birds and inquire about maintenance, building a coop, etc. I scanned the bunny pen and thought 'hum, how cute'. Keeping rabbits as pets has never ever been on my radar screen - not even as a child. But when the staff suggested that they make great coop companions for chickens there was little apprehension (on my part anyway).

MAYDAY! MAYDAY!

Heed the warning! NOT a good idea to purchase a pet on impulse; worse yet to get one that you're unprepared for. Maggie is fearless & adorable plus she's made fast friends with her "siblings". She is also a bloomin' gum ball machine, if you get my drift. Like I said, the plan is to keep her with the hen (which we don't have) in the coop (which we haven't built) in the back yard. In the meanwhile, she lives in a box in our house and plays outside as we have time to supervise her. Suffice it to say, I'm sick of bleaching the floor. Especially since I just did it last week after a surprise awakening to Ratatouille - or should I say Marie Antoinette, if you get my drift.

Thus, my life becomes even more absurd. And restricted. And full of complete and utter joy. I realize that I am most happy when I'm interacting with God's creatures.

No comments: