Tuesday, October 14, 2008

How much is a life worth?

Long overdue, I'm getting all of my affairs in order like grown ups are supposed to. Reviewing my financials for retirement and other things I'd like to accomplish in life; creating a living trust; blah, blah, blah; life insurance. Screeeeeech! Life insurance? I am philosophically opposed to life insurance unless you have small children to protect. I think it is a preposterous waste of money. But I let Damon talk me into buying a small policy in preparation for my big African adventure just in case, God forbid, I fall into the Zambezi whilst paddling the rapids or splashing around in devil's pool - (no, it's not just a legend as evidenced by the photo shown here - BTW I don't know that crazy dude). So I told him I would buy just enough to pay off our house and I thought it was settled until we went into the agent's office. For three hours we hashed and negotiated until he finally saw my point that one should not become enriched from another's death! All this planning for the future makes me feel old so I think I'll plunge into devil's pool and hope to rejuvenate myself.

No comments: