Friday, August 29, 2008

Jumped the Shark

If it wasn't our future on the line you'd think this presidential election was a reality show that's begging to be canceled. It seems as though we are in an endless loop of election coverage and niggling analysis. It's difficult to distinguish if this is a contest or a circus. The political theater and the apes playing their respective roles is so entertaining that it reminds me of the Orangutan exhibit at the zoo. I guess it doesn't matter anymore what's in the country's best interest so long as you one up your opponent with political strategizing.

Let me start at the beginning of the DNC and Michelle Obama's glimpse of my-husband-the-man shill. While a very eloquent reiteration of Obama's message of hope, all I learned is that they are trying to distance themselves from any perception of privilege by trotting out familial tribulations and looking for ways to relate to the masses. Moving on to Hillary. Wow! Certainly the most heartfelt, articulate and self-serving as I've ever seen her. The underlying tone of her delivery being "I don't think Obama can win this thing so I'll set myself up to take another stab in 4 years and take my 18 million supporters with me." The only time during the speech that I felt she was even remotely in support of Obama was when she said if you voted for me AND my ideals then you should cast your vote for him in November. And then there's Bill. Arousing is his specialty. He seemed more genuine than his wife did though there was barely enough room for his ego in the hall. What a total bore Biden is. Yawn. How does 35 years of Washington entrenchment spell change? Obama himself is wonderfully inspirational and mesmerizing. I found when I read his book that he is very thoughtful and intellectual, easily able to understand and respect opposing viewpoints - all respectable traits of leadership. And I like that he thinks the people's government should work for the people not against them. But in working for some it has to work against others under his model. His fresh, idyllic energy and willingness to combat injustice is intoxicating but expensive and didn't he say we were in debt up to our eyeballs? His optimism is all-American through and through I'm just suspect about how realistic he is with respect to the litany of pressing work to be done.

Awakening this morning to the overshadowing news of another under-qualified, yet female, VP pick elicits a response of sheer exasperation. Is the goal to make history or secure the country's future? I know I'm supposed to feel less cynical but my naive hopes and dreamy idealism have rapidly and sadly evaporated. Tune in for the baboons exhibit next week at the RNC.

No comments: