Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Thanksgiving

Well, more thanks than giving. It's not quite a cornucopia but my garden bounty has been satisfying nonetheless. So far we've enjoyed an arugula salad, spinach, greens beans, tomatoes, turnip and beets. I reside amongst a small percentage of the population who love beets. I found a simple and delicious recipe for beet salad. (see below) I eat it alone but I'm sure you could put it with some greens or use your imagination to create your own delicious concoctions. Still waiting on the carrots, eggplant, squash and corn. We have one ear of corn so far. If I remember correctly it should be ready for harvest in August.





Roast 4 washed beets (stems & roots removed) wrapped in tin foil in 400 oven for 1 hour
Cool a bit; peel & cut into bite sized wedges
Mix in 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
Add 1/3 c chopped walnuts
Toss with 1 tbsp sunflower oil (or whatever you prefer)
Serve chilled crumbled with goat cheese

You can use the greens too. They are a little bitter to use in a salad but I sauteed them with garlic and shallots for a yummy and flavorful side with beef tenderloin and sweet potato/turnip mash. Substitute the beet for turnip greens, add sardines to the skillet and you've made a classic Siicilian dish. Bellissimo!

Another favorite is turnip gratin. We love root vegetables and there are lots of extraordinary ways to use them.





Preheat oven to 450°F with rack in middle.
Melt 2 tbsp butter in an ovenproof heavy skillet, cool.
Slice well-washed turnip paper thin (skins on), layer 1/3 into skillet overlapping tightly.
Keep remaining slices covered with dampened paper towel.
Sprinkle with a little thyme, savory, kosher salt, and cayenne.
Make 2 more layers just the same.
Cook, covered, over medium heat until underside is browned, about 10 min.
Add 1 c heavy cream and cook, covered, until center is tender, 20 to 25 min.
Sprinkle evenly with 1 c grated Parmigiano cheese.
Bake, uncovered, until golden and bubbling, 10 to 15 minutes.
Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

I am so thankful for and to my grandparents who as city folks had the gumption to become farmers in mid-life. Their adventure rendered us kids the beneficiaries of many years of unforgettable memories. Those were truly the best days of my life and I often think that after we've sown our proverbial seeds we are impelled to return to our roots. I love the vibrancy, diversity, activity and most of all the anonimity of city life but more and more I feel the pull of peace and open space. Who doesn't want their veggies and eat them too?


No comments: