Sunday, June 8, 2008

One Pooped Pooch (& sore dogs, too)

I think my dog is crippled - as if my poor monkey hasn't been through enough lately. It's a draw which brutalized him more; nearly drowning or the 7.6 mile hike I put him through today. He's gone on long walks before but usually at his own pace. Although I spent a long time massaging him, he can barely get up his muscles are so tired and stiff. Even I had to give my dogs a good soak in warm water with epsom salts to ease the blisters. We joined friends for an awesome walk through Griffith Park. It was a perfect day, albeit not without incident. We passed a coyote on the way up to the observatory, which completely freaked me out - I'm a city girl, after all. My friend was tolerating insufferable shoulder/neck/arm pain but he didn't let a little thing like that compromise his machismo - HE CHASED OFF THE COYOTE. And then Sir Dudley (the other dog) stepped on a bee (bugger couldn't resist a stab) and limped down the hill. But all was salved with refreshments at Trail's End. This place is nicely tucked amongst the pines easily lending to the cool and relaxing atmosphere. Gourmet vegan snacks served from a little shack that resembles a makeshift summer porch kitchen are homemade. I enjoyed the tomato, goat, rosemary tart with lemonade and tried my friend's asparagus, leek quiche. We all shared an outrageous strawberry-rhubarb galette which gave us enough energy to power home and cool off with Moscow Mules served in icy copper mugs. Aaahhh! What a perfect day.

No comments: