Saturday, June 21, 2008

Fornication

This has been a sex-filled weekend. I finally caught Sex and the City at the movies which I thought was cute and unexpectedly disappointing. It was very, um, real. Real is not at all what I'd anticipated. What I was hoping for was the smut and deviant behavior that gripped me during the HBO series. And there was some of that, however the screenwriter was strident to point out that the women had evolved from awkward and experimental sexual maniacs messing about into mature and thoughtful love-bound 40 something ladies. Corny. Boring. Deep. Meaningful.

And then I saw my 1st episode of Showtime's Californication. I first fell in love with David Duchovny (in the 80's I think) on Showtime's Red Shoe Diaries where his character was a reckless fiend drenched in a fantasy world. Ironically, his character on Californication is a reckless fiend drenched in love with his ex-wife. Seems to be a theme emerging here... promiscuous 20's, permissive 30's, pathetic 40's.

Then there was some other show about a high-priced call girl. She seems to be the only one of the lot with a clear head. Seriously, what's love got to do with it?

I, myself now 40, think love is for the birds and that it's a pathetic trade-off for sex.

1 comment:

Jerry said...

Don't give up on love....
It will grab you when you least expect it!