Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Gypsies, Tramps & Thieves


Los Angeles voters may have been disenfranchised today. True to form the corrupt city government machine is at work yet again and here's why I make this claim. It could be a series of coincidences but I am not in the mood to give Villaraigosa and his village idiots the benefit of the doubt.

I usually vote at 7am before go to work but this day Damon and I had talked about going together after work. I was on my way home when I got a phone call from my neighbor saying that the polling place where we've voted in every election for 8 years was locked up tight. Alright, so they moved the polling place. We located it on the back of our sample ballots and found that it had moved from a large classroom in a church school with plenty of parking to the back of a minuscule carpet store with no designated parking and inconvenient access. This made me think that well-intentioned voters may have just shined it not willing to endure the grief.

I walked in with my neighbor at 6pm and the volunteers congratulated him as being the 100th voter. One hundred voters in a Mayoral election of the 2nd largest city in America 2 hours before the poll closes? Are you kidding me? I shouldn't be so surprised as the election is being held one month earlier than it usually is and has gotten relatively little press. This particular polling venue was barely identifiable marked only with a dwarfed US flag stuck in the mud street side and a scribbled sign on the entrance to the store which is on a different corner than the building address and front entrance. When we questioned the poll workers they said "hey we just put out what they give us". Finding Easter eggs or the f'n Easter bunny for that matter is probably easier than locating our polling place.

My hope is that there was a enough dissonance with the abysmal performance of this mayor to spur a runoff in May. Tony V doesn't even want to be mayor - he has his sights set on the gubernatorial race next year. But the honest truth is that most people are apathetic - living in little bubbles not paying attention to what their government is doing. And more often than not they are plundering us. The incumbent mayor refused to debate any of his competitors citing that they were insignificant. This sends a message to me that he hasn't got a clue about what's going on in his city because he's never here doing the people's business and would be walloped on the issues. Moreover, it illustrates total contempt for the people of Los Angeles.

I decided to check in on the results before I post this and find that I too have contempt for LA voters. It appears as though the mayor will keep his job and I wonder which city his supporters live in...certainly not the same Los Angeles that I do. It is staggering how poorly engaged people are.

No comments: