Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Ciao...

....Bush and Cli't', oh and especially Dick. Sorry for the lame innuendo....I'm feeling inspired by Helen Philpot. :]

The election is over! Hallelujah. It's the end of an era - the god-awful Bush era and with any luck the Clintons too. Time for some fresh yummy meat and fresh ideas to restore our standing in the world and history. As you might guess I did not vote for the office of president. (Calm down people it doesn't matter in California anyway.) My non-vote was a vote more against government than a vote against the beloved Obama. I am extraordinarily hopeful that he has the leadership qualities to get us on the right track and not unhappy in the least that he was elected. I probably wouldn't have been unhappy with McCain either. Honestly, who could do worse than what we've endured during the incompetent Bush years? Except maybe the wackadoo Nancy Pelosi so I'll have to trust that Obama will keep her on a short leash.
Speaking of crackpots, we have a bunch here in California. Let me break it down for you. But first a little history. The state is nearly bankrupt. We have a $15.2 BILLION budget deficit. This on the heels of historic home prices, hence historic property tax revenues of which the state gets a portion. So we had 12 statewide propositions on the ballot, 4 of which authorized the sale of bonds totaling almost $17B in new spending - plus interest. Three of the four passed which means our debt burden is further deepened. This from the same liberal crowd who scathingly condemn the erosion of a national surplus. Some of the props were a good idea but there are consequences to bad governance. I guess that's not how Californians think. Keep digging a hole, maybe the congress will bail you out!
What gets me the craziest is that a proposition to prohibit the confinement of pregnant farm animals passed while one that would ensure parental notification for under-age abortions was defeated. Huh? I adore animals and I don't give a crap if someone wants to get an abortion but let's examine the logic. Animals being raised to get hauled off to slaughter for our consumption shouldn't live in a cage and young girls, who can't get a mole removed without their parents consent, can have major surgery unbeknownst to their caregivers. The same bizarre crowd chose to deny gays the constitutional right to marriage. I guess animals are more important than homos and children.
Maybe you think I'm the crackpot. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

No comments: