Monday, March 25, 2013

Death Wishes

NB: I am NOT suicidal!
This post is likely to be perceived as very weird given I'm in middle age but I just attended a funeral prompting me to have some thoughts about my own death and I wish to communicate them publicly lest there be any question about my posthumous fate.

Firstly, I want my remains donated to science for purposes of plastination. Think Body Worlds, that cool worldwide traveling exhibit with cross-sected organs, hanging tattooed skin and plasticized muscles and tendons holding yoga poses. If they can use an eyeball or something, great! If not, they can feed me to the lab rats. I do not want to take up precious space in the ground and cremation strikes me as more morbid than death itself.

I reject the idea of a sad and tearful funeral service. Such a somber and uninspiring mood - utterly counter to how I've lived my life. I hope people will joyfully congregate and tell stories and share smiles and laughter. Black attire and fussy suits are strictly verboten. Grieve quietly.

And if I'm really lucky somebody will dedicate a park bench in my honor on one of my favorite hiking trails inscribed with Rumi's "Reach Higher...Reach for your Spirit".

No comments: