Sunday, April 8, 2012

Niacin Flush

Recently I had one of those department store beauty counter make-overs. In talking about my general skin condition and noticing that I had a bit of acne the sales girl suggested I try niacin (vitamin B3) to detoxify my skin. She said I may feel a bit flush initially but that I should mark a noticeable difference in my skin within a week. Sounded harmless enough so I thought I'd give it a try. I went to the vitamin shop and saw two types of niacin side by side. Both bottles had the same number of pills of the same strength - one was $4 and the other $20. The more expensive one said anti-flush on the bottle but I didn't think it was worth 5 times the price so I took the cheap one and went home. The only vitamin I take daily is a calcium pill fortified with magnesium and vitamin D so the next day when I took my vitamin I popped the niacin pill as well and left home. Ten minutes later I recall feeling a little warm. I looked at my skin and I was bright red all over! It looked and felt like a severe sunburn. (I have experience with these things since I'm so fair and used to be a sun worshiper.) The process, about an hour passes from start to finish, runs the course of sensations just like a sunburn insomuch that you have burning then the tingly, itchy feeling followed by a little chill.  It's weird; I wouldn't say painful but definitely a little uncomfortable. So I was wishing I'd not been so cheap and got the anti-flush formula. I jumped online to find out wtf? I read up and discovered that the flush is supposed to happen in order for B3 to be effective. What happens is the capillaries under the dermis open wide so as to release impurities and detox your innards. I thought perhaps you'd develop tolerance over time but so far I've done it a dozen times with the same result. I found this video on youtube if you want to check it out. I also put up a picture of myself during the flush. Ignore all the chins and focus on the redness of my skin. Incidentally, my skin does seem to be improving. I still get a pimple here and there but it goes away faster when I flush. My pores are smaller too but I can't say for sure it is the niacin since I've been making my own moisturizer for some months now which consists of vitamin A (lanolin), vitamin E, aloe vera and rose water. It's cheaper and better than all that expensive crap with ingredients you can't read.

No comments: