Friday, July 31, 2009

Teachable Moment

I have been incensed about this story since the second Obama stupidly uttered the word "stupidly" when referring to the Cambridge's Sargeant Crowley's arrest of tenured Harvard professor Dr. Gates. If someone had called the police saying that my house looked as though it were being broken into and an officer showed up and asked me some questions I think I would simply say, "thank you for protecting me and my property" rather than launching into an attack rooted in animus.

I've seen Gates' PBS series the "African American Experience" and found his airs a tad hubris but not hateful. Had the president not given traction to the event it more than likely would have blown over without incident. As it were, Obama spoke out of turn without consideration for the consequences thus providing the kind of fodder the media salivates over.

I take umbrage that the cop has succumbed to pressure to meet on the white house lawn for beers. I think the invitation does more to prop up Obama's image than to clear the racially tense brown air. Seems to me racism is more often perpetrated by those who claim to be it's victim. And we all know that things are not as sharp when looking through beer goggles.

That'll teach you, Mr. President, to gather all the facts and not comment on that which is above your pay grade.

No comments: