Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Fleshy Menagerie

I'm living in a menagerie - a maniacal and wondrous menagerie. You'd never know that Jackson had surgery a week ago. He is miraculously recovered. And there is nothing better than snuggling with my sweet doggie on a summer afternoon in the hammock listening to the wind rustle through the trees. Ahhhh. Not an hour later, as I was reflecting on what angelic animals I have, Frankie, the cat, for the first time in his life got up on our kitchen counter top and stole a steak right off the plate!! He's lost his mind - and nearly his head.

As if I don't have enough to worry about with Jackson, I'm very concerned about Frankie. He has lost about 25% of his body weight. We've done blood tests to screen for diabetes and thyroid disease (who knew both are prevalent in cats) but there is no glaring culprit for his weight loss. He has a very hearty appetite but is a skeleton of his former self. Incidentally as his weight is going down our neighbor's cat's is going up. It's possible that she is getting to Frankie's food making it look like he's the glutton. He'll be going for a wellness check and immunizations next week and I'm reluctant to learn what the problem is. My poor heart can't take any more bad news.

No comments: